History

 

home _2
Forestry Training Institute, Olmotonyi was established in 1937 as the “African Forest Rangers School, Olmotonyi”.The objective of establishing the School was to train the foresters who would manage the colonial owned forests. At the time of its establishment the goal was to obtain the sufficient foresters by 1957. By 1941, 24 Forest Rangers had qualified but the lack of Instructors during the War forced the Institute’s closure until 1947. Two year Ranger Training courses were conducted again from  1947 to 1958 but, again, the lack of Instructors meant another closure in 1958.In July 1960 the Institute reopened, for unknown reasons,  the name of the Institute was changed from Forest Training School to the present name in late 1970s and since this date and particularly from the 1980s the Institute has grown in both size and quality. Its services have reached many countries in Eastern, Western, Central and Southern Africa. The Institute is registered by the National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) with registration number REG/ANE/007 and has been granted full accreditation in December 2005 to offer National  Technical Awards (NTA). The Institute currently offers Basic Certificate (NTA 4) in Forestry, Technician Certificate (NTA 5) in  Forestry and Ordinary Diploma (NTA 6) in Forestry as well as short courses and consultancies in all environmental related fields including beekeeping and climate change. All the time the institute has been in good partnership with the different development partners including the USAID, DANIDA, NORAD, FINNIDA, CIDA and SIDA.